Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Breathing Positive: Alex and Ani and Cystic Fibrosis

I have never been a fan of bracelets on my wrist--my wrists are very tiny, they get caught in activities I am doing, and overall me and bracelets just don't roll together.
After enduring a rough weekend with some CF-related news, as I am sure many of you can relate, my mom surprised me with a bracelet from Alex and Ani--with the word "Positive" in 21 different languages.  It's beautiful.


I call it my good luck charm. After I started wearing it, I have had a great week (and it fits perfectly).
Most importantly when I look at that word: "Positive", I stand up a little straighter, breathe a little slower, and my head down to my toes gets a warm, comforting feeling. Saying this word to yourself stimulates your brain to think of the word, its meaning, how it makes you feel. The mind is such a powerful thing, and mental wellness is a huge aspect of Cystic Fibrosis.

As a PT student, I have the honor of working with cancer patients as part of my research. In an exercise we recently did with our group, we discussed the importance of that mental well-being I am asking you to consider today.  Breathing exercises that encourage slow, controlled, and focused breaths are wonderful sources for those with chronic illness, and the general population.  We all have our stresses--Cf and non-CF alike.  To be able to pause during your day and take a breath, even if its a small and slow one, will be beneficial to your overall health--I guarantee it because I am a living example.

One thing that struck me as interesting is that I heard a participant say that they did not know there was even a psychologist in their care facility. My first thought was, why would a psychologist not be part of a cancer team? Much like CF, where we have a Team of Physicians, Nurses, OTs, PTs, nutritionists, social workers--come on now, you can't add in one more health care professional?  I love all my docs and nurses and I am sure my relationship with my mental wellness professional would be just as wonderful.  

If any of you would like research on mental wellness and chronic illness, message me and I can find some for you.  Today my goal though is not to throw facts at you that, quite honestly as most research does, may change in the next 5-10 years.  My goal is to ask you to take a minute, inhale slowly as much as you can, and then slowly breathe out. When you breathe out, think the word: "Positive." Do this 5 times. Then go enjoy the rest of your day

Keep Breathing and Beating,
Meghan


P.S. For those with birthdays coming up,  there is an Alex and Ani bracelet that donates 20% proceeds to CF: 








No comments:

Post a Comment