Thursday, June 12, 2014

Why are we afraid to do things?

Really, why are we afraid to do things? What if we want that happy life we've always wanted, why can't we pursue it and why are we so scared to even think about it?
Jim Carrey recently gave a speech at Maharishi University that brightened up and inspired my whole day. At one point of his speech, he talked about our community's choice to pick the "safe route".    He points out that while we are all worried about the "ghosts" of our future, all we have is right now, and the decisions we make here that determine our future are made out of Love or Fear.  My favorite line of his: "So many of us choose our path out of Fear disguised as Practicality."

This frightened me a bit, because many of my decisions in life were chosen out of fear disguised as practicality.  I love my profession, but my first choice was med school, so I could treat kids with CF.  Practical? Hell no. Would I have gotten sick from the stress and exposure to hospitals? Ah, possibly.  But was I passionate about it? More than you'll ever know.
Through my profession I have promised myself that I will help treat kids with CF in one way or another. Whether it be through research opportunities or providing my own help with CF research, like Jim I have passions that are unending and I choose to chase them in one form or another.

My last line I'll leave you with from his speech is: "You can fail at what you don't want, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you LOVE"


B&B,
Meghan


http://www.lifebuzz.com/jim-carrey/#!XYKfg



No comments:

Post a Comment